Friday, August 20, 2010

Back to Real Life

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Life is but a dream

That's the feeling around here these days. I'm not ready to do a whole wedding-party-honeymoon-recovery recap, not yet. There's a kind of haze surrounding the three weeks between when my summer classes ended and when we returned to work this Monday. I want to do a recap (or maybe write an email to Meg), and I want to do it soon, but life is getting in the way like it always does. We've been working out commute schedules for the fall semester, buying groceries (like adults), and recycling more cardboard boxes than we know what to do with. Those things haven't changed in and of themselves, but life is fundamentally different now.

For one thing, I have mental energy to focus on the knitting and spinning again. Those projects have piled up, and I want to share them. I have a few skeins of handspun that need to be blogged after they've had a bath, and there's a whole sweater that I started, struggled with, and finished that I haven't blogged about at all. Those posts are also percolating in my brain, and I'm glad to have the room for them to percolate.

I want to talk about all these things, and write lesson plans for my new class, and take care of all the same things I was taking care of before getting married. Everything else has taken a back seat, but it's different from other life changes, like when I put everything on hold to write my thesis for graduate school, or when I moved to San Francisco. Instead of feeling like I got stuck in a stagnant pool, I feel as though I've gone over a waterfall in my little boat. And now there's someone to help steer and row. Sitting here in a cafe, waiting for the car to get an oil change, they're playing one of the songs I danced to 20 days ago with my new husband. All I feel is peaceful joy.



Oh yeah, and he's started hinting that he wants a sweater.

4 comments:

Thystle said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

at least he would wear one, I can only get S to wear socks.
LOL
R

wildtomato said...

Congratulations, again! Your smile in the last pic is radiant!

Sherezada said...

Congrats from both Adam and I! You both look so happy in that photo. :)