Saturday, August 9, 2008

Last Gasp of Summer

Ok, not really, because it's often warmer during September here in San Francisco than it is in August, but I wasn't talking about temperatures or humidity levels. This afternoon I'm off to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park for some camping with my family. Camping will be awesome, it was what we did for about a week every summer while I was growing up. Sometimes in a cabin, sometimes in a tent, as long as we got a source of cold water (lake or river) and some pine trees, my parents were happy as clams and us kids couldn't help having fun too. Hopefully there won't be too much fire damage in the area. I'm trying to not set myself up for disappointment, but my sister's and my favorite hiking trail up the Big Sur river gorge is closed according to the park website. Poo. At least it will be a good chance to get unplugged a bit. I get back on Friday, and next weekend is the Golden Gate Renaissance Faire. Yipee! This is quickly turning into my favorite faire of the season. Since its inception, it's always been held (magically) during the last weekend before the fall semester begins.

All this means no blogging until I get back, and possibly not for quite some time, as the new semester starts next Monday and I'll be busy busy busy. I'll try to bring back a few pictures of redwoods to share with y'all on Friday or Saturday, though. In the meantime, here's some laceweight singles to hold you over:

Tactile Merino/Silk Handspun

As you can see, I've made my peace with double drive. Turns out the drive band just needed a serious tightening. I did a 2-ply last night while watching the Olympics (wasn't the opening ceremony incredible? And hooray for the American men's gymnastics team!) but I'll have to wait to see what kind of yardage I get. It's a laceweight to light fingering weight, and this is a 50/50 Merino/Silk blend from Tactile Fiber Arts. I purchased this at the first Color fiber festival, and they've just announced the day for fall! Hooray, more fibery goodness to look forward to! Guess I better get through some of my spinning stash so I can at least pretend to justify some purchases...

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Oh my! I think you are the luckiest girl. Spending your Summer in Europe and now you are on your way to Big Sur. I absolutely love Big Sur. It is so unbelievably pretty. Have you ever hiked to the hot springs there? I did it years ago. 20 miles in 2 days. The cruel stupidity of youth!