Saturday, July 26, 2008

Le Tour de Fleece est Fini!

Well, I'm off to Rothenburg ob der Tauber this morning for my last trip out while in Germany. I finished washing my yak fiber on Friday, and it dried all day yesterday. Here's the finished product:

Yak Headlands Post Washing

If you're looking at the color and thinking, "Hmmm, that's a bit different than what it looked like last time...", you've got good eyes (or you trust your computer monitor more than I do!). The yarn got a soak in lukewarm water with a little bit of shampoo (since I don't have any wool wash here in Germany), then two rinses to make sure the water ran clear. When I got the skein out, I thought it looked a little darker, but figured that was just because it was wet. When it finished drying, however, I was fairly certain that the pale tan areas had significantly changed color, turning a more pinkish color. I got the skinny from Kristine, and she explained that this was probably a confluence of the cochineal dye making friends with new parts of the yak fiber, which is finicky to wash.

I still love the yarn, because now it has a completely different dimension. The new colors remind me of red clay earth. The label has gone missing, but comparing to other AVFKW colorways, I'm fairly certain this is the "Headlands" colorway. Either way, it definitely reminds me of the Marin Headlands. I drive over the Golden Gate Bridge every other day to go to work, and most days I get a nice view of the headlands.

Anyway, back to the spinning! I got about 210 yards (195 meters) out of 2 ounces, so this is a fingering to light fingering yarn, just right for the mitts! I'm really glad I decided to not do the Navajo ply, because I wouldn't have gotten enough yardage for the intended project. Now that the yarn is dry, I think I have my airplane project figured out! It'll be on bamboo DPNs, so I should be fine with the security folks. Or I might start another sock. I haven't decided. But I'm ready for le maillot jeune!

1 comment:

Isaac the Stupendous said...

hey snowl

Just wanted to let you know that I still keep up with your blog even if we don't talk much anymore. Been talking to your dad of the old days when we were young and still kids. Keep up with the great blog, I love how eloquently you write.

isaac (faweem)