Sunday, May 18, 2008

Time for a new project!

Wow, these socks went really fast! This is why I love Ravelry- I know they went fast, but I can go to my project page and see how fast they actually went: 11 days from start to finish. I wish I had been able to finish them for the significant other before he had to leave, but it will be nice to wrap them up in a little care package.

Bitter Orange Socks

These socks are very much fraternal twins rather than identical twins, but that is probably to be expected from handspun yarn. The sock knit from the first skein (this is the fiber that I purchased at Stitches) is more colorful: the stripes are more prominent, and there are more areas of orange. The other sock (first one I knit, fiber purchased online) has more areas of consistent dark brown. I love them both, but my favorite bit is the very bright orange stripe on the leg of the first sock.

Now it's time to start a new project. I wanted to have something quick, that I would either be able to finish before leaving for Germany, or at least easy, so it would make good airplane knitting. I also knew I wanted to do a top, either a sweater or something like that. It's also been CRAZY hot around here: San Francisco hit temperatures in the high 80's this week, and the nights have been clear, which is very unusual for this time of year. Typically the fog still rolls in from the ocean to cool things off at night, and its absence certainly helped the heat stick around for several days. So I wanted something light and airy to knit. After seeing the Knitting Daily Gallery for the Leaf Kimono Top, in the new issue of Interweave Knits, I knew I'd found the new project. A fast, light, airy top knit in linen. I popped over to Imagiknit to pick up the yarn, and then off to Britex near Union Square to search for the perfect ribbon and sewing thread:

Euroflax Sportweight

I'm in love with the ribbon, which is a light dove-gray color, with one pink edge:

Ribbon for Leaf Kimono

I'd never been to Britex before, and it is HUGE! They have four floors in their shop, and the third floor is all notions: thread, needles, buttons, ribbon, basically anything you can think of. They even carry some yarn, knitting needles and crochet hooks, but the yarn selection is probably one tenth the size of their button selection. It's Sunday, which is chores day, so I'm off to do laundry and grade papers. Fun times. Hopefully tonight I will have some time to sit down at the wheel again!

No comments: