Thursday, June 12, 2008

*Gasp!* Two posts in one day

I don't deserve to be called a knitblogger. I nearly forgot to share my plans for Saturday.

This Saturday, two events near and dear to the hearts of most knitbloggers everywhere will coincide. They are World Wide Knit in Public day and the birthday of that patron saintess of all knitbloggers, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. There will be much rejoicing, and sharing of the crafty projects with befuddled non-crafters. It is the day we reveal to the world how numerous our ranks have grown, and share the joys of knitting on the train, while waiting for an appointment, or just outside in the (let's hope) sunshine.

It's kinda like this:

Biergarten Knitting

In case you aren't in Europe or keeping track of what's hot in Europe right now, the Euro Cup is currently underway. We're still in the initial stages, so there are two games on every night. EVERY NIGHT. Last night, we found a lovely restaurant with outdoor seating and a large digital TV. We drank good beer (or in my case Radler), ate good food (I had an ENORMOUS baked potato with grilled mushrooms and a truly ridiculous amount of sour cream), and watched the game. I got through 1/3 of the leg of my second Covelite jaywalker sock. That is knitting in public.

This weekend we will be visiting München (Munich, you don't want to know how dumb I felt at how long it took me to figure that one out), which gives me the perfect opportunity to stalk these spinners and knitters. I remember downloading the first two episodes of their podcast after hearing the promo on Lime & Violet. I was on the bus when I listened to the first one. I nearly peed my pants, I was laughing so hard. People were looking at me, trying to figure out if I was crazy (I didn't blame them, we have our fair share of crazy people who ride the bus in San Francisco). I've been a fan ever since.

So if you're a knitter, go ply your craft out where people can see you this Saturday! If you're in Munich and you see a slightly nervous-looking person knitting a sock, staring at restaurant menus while trying to look as though she isn't staring at restaurant menus because she can only understand one word out of every ten, come say hello. I'd love to meet some more knitters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be thinking of you when I knit on saturday.
R